Monday, October 8, 2012

October Conference 2012

I won't go into all the details of how crazy trying to pull it all off was, sufficient to say that I have awesome coworkers that make feeling as overworked and burned out as I've been feeling worth it -- because they literally covered for me this weekend at the last minute to give me a wonderful opportunity.

I packed in about 15 minutes, made it with mostly everything and nothing vital was missing.  I was ready to go and had no idea how we were getting there, where we were staying or any of those picky little details that matter.  I just knew I was going.

Going to Conference instead of watching Conference is like going to a (insert your favorite sport) game instead of watching it on tv.  TV version you have a better picture, can see more about what is going on etc but the excitement that runs down your spine when you step into the stadium seating completely wipes out anything that the better view would give you.

Conference is the same thing, only magnified.  When I was a Senior in High School we went with seminary council and it was an amazing experience.  This was pre-conference center and I remember sitting on the hard benches in the Tabernacle listening to Music and The Spoken Word after having been up since what was 2 am in my memory to line up for tickets (who am I kidding, I didn't sleep at all that night).  The tired left quickly when the stands started to fill with General Authorities and then President Hinckley.  I don't remember any specifics of what was said that Conference, but I'll never forget how I felt.

Being older, I was grateful for the extra leg room and comfy seat in the Conference Center -- along with the tickets we had ahead of time so there was no line up crazy early to get tickets.  Long after I've forgotten what was said at this Conference I'll remember the feeling of sitting in the Conference Center with family (my kids weren't able to go -- I was with Gary, Felisa, Mina, Jaron and the boys)  I'd love to take the kids up sometime, I don't know how likely it is for me to be able to go to Conference again anytime soon but there was so much I'd liked to have been able to stay up and see if it wasn't for the responsibilities for us back at home.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment