Monday, April 15, 2013

Think about someone else -- I triple dog dare you

Tonight for FHE we had a mini lesson and activity.  There was no way I could put much else together, but it was something and something we were doing together and that's the point right?

We talked a little about gratitude, specifically being thankful for the people in our lives from friends, neighbors, ward members, teachers and others who it's their job to help us and perhaps a stranger who says the right thing at the right time that makes you smile.  It wouldn't take long for me to make a really long list.  If you are grateful for something it's only proper to say thank you in some way, right?  A plate of cookies seems fairly standard and honestly around this house is always welcome.

Waiting for me to have time and energy on the same day to be able to make said plate of pretty goodies that also tastes delicious?  Not going to happen anytime soon.

Sharing some of the eggs from the chickens?  That we can do without much stress or making it seem like another thing we have to do.  Right now if I have another 'thing' added to my list I may just crack and saying thank you really isn't about stressing anyone out is it?  I'm fairly certain the people we delivered to tonight have done such a good job of helping me out at just the right time not so I could stress about an appropriate thank you later on.

Stress free we walked some eggs around the neighborhood, complete with glittered up egg cartons {why oh why did I buy glitter?!?!?}  to put into action our lesson.

In the past I've given service at times I'm stressed/depressed/etc. but it's always been for someone who really needed something.  I don't know that egg delivering counts as service per say, but doing something for someone else just because and thinking of them and how grateful we are for their part in our lives put smiles on all our faces leaving me with a couple hyper girls with big sincere smiles that made it so I couldn't help but smile.

Tonight's lesson was fairly spontaneous and pulled me out of where I was to where I needed to be, even if it's just for the night.  So tomorrow if you see the opportunity do something small for someone else.  A small sincere compliment can make someone's day and help turn yours around if you'll let it.

So very grateful for all the 'egg'cellant people in my life {yes, I know it's not an original joke but it makes me smile}


Yeah, I know one is missing...


~Heather

1 comment: