Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Strength.



I have seen and heard similar sentiments to this lately in many places. Tonight as I came across this one my thoughts said "but I don't want to be stronger" mostly rooted in the fact that my current trials aren't mine as much as they are watching and helping those I love the most in this world go through things much harder and definitely more unfair than anyone should have to go through.   The trial being easier means it would be easier for them. 

I've been thinking about Gethsemane frequently unable to comprehend the magnitude of what happened there, this passage specifically. 


42 Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.

43 And there appeared an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.

 (Luke 22:42-43)

Somehow I doubt there was as much foot dragging and reluctant "I guess if I have to" as I've done lately. When I compare trials to things I've experienced I think of my freshman year of volleyball. I decided to try out at the last minute, having no clue what the first weeks of conditioning would be like and after the second day I laid on the front lawn knowing I wouldn't quit, quitting just isn't me, but if I was cut from the team I'd be okay with that. I could barely walk that weekend, but I grew stronger, more endurance, and greater jumping strength. I never was even slightly fond of ladders but I got better there too. At the end of season a conditioning workout was significantly harder than those first days in the gym but I enjoyed them, mostly, and I never again wondered if walking without pain was possible. I could do hard things, and grow stronger from them. 

As much as I don't want to admit it, the same applies here so I will lace up my sneakers, drink extra water, and start jogging some laps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment