Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Just to clarify about happiness

I believe not just with my heart but with every part of me down to my toenails what I said in my "Are You Happy?" post.  Some of the hardest times in my life have been the happiest.  While the difficulties were falling down around me I was actively dealing with the ones that could be dealt with even laughing at some of the attempts to derail me and I made a conscious decision to let others lie where they fell for the time being because I didn't have the ability to clear them away.  I was in the midst of a storm  and I was happy, perhaps even dancing in the rain.

{Happiness aside, I'm using this picture that I've seen viral from FB, youtube, miscellaneous blogs but it's mine.  I took it, it's Charlet on the street in front of our house.  My image, my editing, my camera, my daughter, heaven's rainstorm on a summer day.  Did I mention mine?}



Dance like no one is watching

I'm not certain where the strength came from but it's not always easy.  Some days, weeks, months it takes everything I've got to roll out of bed.  Sure, having somewhere concrete to be will grudingly get me moving but reality is I'd rather be in bed or sitting on the couch doing nothing.  I've had days where my goal was to just get outside and see the sunshine but trying to accomplish it was like you'd ask me to do long division in my head.  Happiness was a fairytale I heard about and wanted to believe in but seemed as far away as Cinderella's castle.  This winter has been particularly gloomy between working nights the short days and the bitter cold I've struggled more days than not to just get moving.

Please know that I fully believe in my happiness post, I do know that it's possible regardless of your situation.  I also know that no matter your situation it can be difficult.  Today has been a good day, I forced myself to get moving early on and spent some time researching working nights and the use of light therapy.  I might just invest in a light and I think I'm going to have my Vitamin D levels checked again.

1 comment:

  1. Here is an excerpt from something I wrote last year:

    "...My happiness is my own responsibility, not theirs, just as your happiness is your responsibility, and not mine. I can chose to be happy...or not. If I am in a situation that precludes happiness, it is my responsibility to change my circumstances. This does not apply to sorrow over loss...you can't run away or hide from that...not in a healthy way, anyway.

    This, of course, only applies if being happy is your goal. If you don't want to be happy, giddy, content, satisfied, etc., you will always find a way to avoid those things for more than short spurts.

    We don't all have money - and while it doesn't BUY happiness, it often finances our journey. I don't care if you are dirt poor broke without indoor plumbing, I still believe that, given the desire, you can find things that make you smile."

    ReplyDelete