Sunday, January 27, 2013

Loneliest Day of the Week

I typically work every other weekend. Weekends I don't work are the weekends the kids are with me and they go with their Dad when I'm working. I cherish the weekends with my kids and not having to worry about who needs to be where when and do the kids have everything they need for where they need to be. We don't often go on amazing outtings and more often than not those weekends are filled with chores, netflix, maybe hot chocolate and popcorn. Perfect. Weekends they are with their Dad I work. I'm not home alone rattling around and it is easy to stay busy and engaged in work. There are a few downsides to the system, but over all it works well. {biggest downside is I very rarely have a Friday or Saturday off without the kids if I want to go do something and I value my time with them enough that I rarely leave them to go do something on my own but it's not like I have the opportunity to go out often so it's not a big deal)

Then it's a Sunday night and I end up on call.  It's raining/freezing raining/snowing so I can't go for a long wandering walk and I have things that need to be done, but there is something about a Sunday night with an empty house that lets lonely in so intense that I feel it inside my chest.

I'll find something soul warming on Netflix for company and sit down with a couple of baskets of laundry while listening to the dishwasher in the background and count down the time until after school tomorrow when the house will be filled with homework, hungry kids, and happy.

1 comment: