Tuesday, July 30, 2013

My Escape

A while back I posted a few pictures of the cabin on my quick trip up and back. The cabin was not on the list today, but {surprise!} my plans were turned upside down and my solution was a trip up the mountain. We brought the cousins and I was able to get things opened up a little and chase a few cobwebs away. 

Everything is better at the cabin. 

I can picture Grandpa sleeping on the leather couch


Memories of him teaching me to shoot flies with air from an empty pellet gun, bat hunting in the barn, the summer Grandma would bake in the wood oven. 
Not much has changed and there are some high cobwebs that have been there for who knows how long. 

The summer after we had to read "My Side of The Mountain" I felt like that could be the title for my summer. On the backside of the hill away from all the traffic of Kent's Lake road all you can hear is the gurgle of the stream, buzz of insects in the trees and chatter of chipmunks. I'd ride up with Grandpa and after we'd done whatever needed to be done I'd take off and wander all over the hillside, sometimes following the stream down to the road. 

If there is anywhere on earth to go and remember Grandpa its the cabin. His vision, dream, and work. I could almost hear his soft snoring today as I dusted. 

{Heather} 

No comments:

Post a Comment