Sunday, December 29, 2013

SMART Goals, not so smart?

I was introduced to SMART goals in school and drilled with them during the nursing program. They still hang around at work. There is exact criteria for SMART goals. Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic, Timely but all be very clear and well defined. For evaluations I understand the smart format, it gives a good ruler for progress. For how the patients shift went I lean a little more towards meh' whatever. As for New Years Resolutions I think it's a bad idea, at least for me. 

The wording out charting uses is  all goals met or goals not met. Pretty much it's pass/fail, succeed/unsuccessful, your great/you suck. If the measurable part of my goal is to lose 20 lbs and I lose 19 I have 'goals not met', fail, unsuccessful, and I suck. Completely ignoring all the work and progress made. Similar things happen with absolutes. I will exercise 20 minutes 3 times a week. As soon as there is a week it doesn't happen you've failed. Again. This is why I don't set standard New Year's Resutions, failing is hard on self esteem. 

My resolutions this year?  I want to be a better me, truer to myself, kinder to myself and others. I want to gain a better understanding of my worth.  Smile more and spend more time in the sunshine. I want to be a better friend, mother, sister, daughter. I want to love fully, sing in the shower, and dance in the rain. 



I have a plan with baby steps and ways back on track when it gets hard or I get lazy.  Absolutes won't happen but I can do better and achieve more. I sit and look back to a year ago and somehow I find the strength to be grateful not exactly for the trials I've faced this year but for the strength I've found, how my testimony has grown and for my amazing friends who are busy going around and answering prayers by visits, phone calls, hot chocolate and walks in the cold.  This year really threw me for a loop, more than I thought was possible. It's taken nearly a year to get to where I am now full of days I could barely get out bed, times so lonely my chest hurt, and so tired I couldn't function.  I got through that swamp, or at least a ways through it and I can smile again :-) all without SMART goals of which I'd certainly have to receive "goals not met". 

I hope everyone has a safe New Years Eve and a wonderful 2014.  Make sure you have a designated driver or call a cab. 




No comments:

Post a Comment