Saturday, December 14, 2013

Traditions

Growing up one if my favorite traditions was helping Grandma and Grandpa decorate for Christmas. Grandma would be busy turning the mantle and organ into Christmas wonderland while Grandpa was busy making sure the tree was perfect from all angles. He would cut off branches to graft them exactly where he wanted them, and wouldn't stop until it was perfect. 

Fast forward to 2013.  Buying a Christmas tree late I didn't have a ton of choices. I prefer a fir even though they look less perfect than ponderosa because if the smell, the perfect top for a star and more space for dangly ornaments. There were only a few firs left on the lot and my favorite has a nice bare spot. Not the length of the tree so we can put up against the wall tight but a perfect spot for some branches to be grafted in. 


I don't know that this is the year to be learning about grafting Christmas trees, but we'll be talking about it when it {finally} gets decorated. 

Miss you Grandpa, especially at Christmas time. You are apart of all my favorite Christmas memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment