Saturday, August 31, 2013

Happy Birthday Kaede! (even if it is a few days late)

This month Kaede discovered my Pinterest, just in time for her birthday. She found this pin and her new birthday cake. Much tastier and less frustrating than a fondant cake at least.

Did you see that picture in the link?  I've gained weight just planning to make this.  Me being me a recipe really is more of a suggestion than anything and the first thing I planned to do was swap peanut butter for caramel. Everything is better with caramel, right?  Of course it is! 

The other problem I had is not having two springform pans the same size. I have a ton of cake pans. Round ones, square ones, standard 9x13, ball ones that the middle pops out, etc. yes, it is a huge storage issue but I cope. I have nesting spring form pans (they came as a set from a yard sale, I promise). I do however have a cake leveler that will evenly cut a cake -- or brownies in half.  It was at least a good idea. I ended up making two batches and having thicker layer of brownie. What's wrong with more brownie? Not much of course. I did end up having to compensate with only one layer of ice cream because my springform pan is too short, but I doubt I'd have been able to get two full layers anyways. I think there maybe another solution out there but I don't know what it is yet and I'm in a hurry for it to freeze so maybe its for the best.

I'm not going to share my version of the recipe because it can still be improved.  The ice cream layers never froze solid enough that would cut without squishing out the sides.  I don't know if thinner brownie layers would have been better for that or not and I don't know if peanut butter freezes more solid than caramel.  Experimenting is definitely in order and meanwhile the first attempt was great.  I may end up using store ice cream in the future for the more solid freeze.  If I end up with perfecting this one I'll let you know.  Meanwhile you will have to click through the link to Pinterest.


one huge caramely ice cream cookie

Kaede's birthday was on Thursday and Tuesday night, realizing that her Pinterest dream party wasn't going to happen she said "Mom, for my birthday will you call Brittney and see if I can go visit Kaleb?  I really want to see him for my birthday."  I've had them give the Flints a little more space knowing that they would be inundated with well meaning people want to come visit their inspiration but such a sweet from the heart birthday wish?  Of course I'm going to follow through on that.  Thursday they were back up to PCMC so we went over a few days early to get some Kaleb time in.  If you haven't heard of Kaleb he is a little boy in our neighborhood who was hit by a car beginning of July and has been amazingly strong and such an inspiration to everyone.  The link takes you to his Facebook page for updates and the initial story.

Kaede and Kaleb

Kaede's birthday party list sounded like a blast, however unrealistic it may be.  Things were always changing around like the color theme, she decided to settle for Lagoon instead of Disney (I did mention unrealistic right?) games to be played and lets not forget the entertainment.  The one slot that didn't change was entertainment.  She preferred One Direction but since she knew that probably wasn't going to happen she wanted Brother Huff to come.  She didn't get a party at all, much less the dream version she'd plan in her free time but she did get a bouquet of flowers from Huff'nPuff.  What more does a 10 year old need for her birthday besides a visit with Kaleb, balloon flowers and ice cream cake?  I'm not certain, I do know that this one was pretty happy about it all.

Bouquet of flowers from Ryan Huff

No comments:

Post a Comment