Sunday, August 4, 2013

Sunday Roadtrip

Road trips and Sunday don't usually fall in my same list often and I've been feeling a little disconnected from Sunday -- and an extension the rest of my week. It's like church, the Sacrament, connecting with Ward members is a hard reset. My figurative computer has been needing that hard reset.  As I was faced with the decision to make the round trip drive today or who knows when and weighing everything on the line I decided to go, and was instantly glad. 

I scheduled things for as late as possible but that still gave me just enough time to take the girls to church stay for the Sacrament and then leave. Charlet had the choice of coming or not and wanted to come so Kaede stayed with Corry's during Sacrament meeting and then home with them after. 

With wind in my favor I can make it on 1 tank of gas, I had snacks for the trip and a sandwich for the road, plans to be home for a late dinner if leftovers. We should be good right?

Wrong. 

To begin with I expected something miraculous to happen in that first 15 minutes and it didn't--much like anytime you stand somewhere just waiting for blessings to come your way. I had told Charlet earlier that we had a "good enough excuse" and no one would question is missing but that this morning was a test of priorities and for me the Sacrament is important enough to get dressed up for and delay getting out of town a little.  See?  Shouldn't blessings have been falling all over us?  Yeah, it doesn't work quite like that.  

Get in the car and peek at every thing to realize I didn't fill up last night when we got home. Uhhh, I can't make the trip on 1/2 a tank even with the best wind. I also fell into the trap of "as long as I'm getting gas I should get a soda". 

Fast forward to I-70. Once you pass Richfield there is an exit for Salina and whatever highway that is on. A very poorly marked exit that is easy to miss if you are tired and trying to do the math of if you have enough time for a 5 minute roadside nap. After Salina there is a lot of nothing and then eventually a Rest Stop and then a ranch exit. 

Missed the Salina exit and at the Rest Stop I didn't realize I could turn around and by the ranch exit my bladder was going to explode. There was no bathroom, no thick forest of trees, no trees, no sagebrush or bushes. Only significant traffic and ankle high grass--and google maps to see where I went wrong. 

We get turned back around, 30 miles too late at this point and find the Rest Stop. 

The rest of the trip was similar, caught behind the RV going 40 mph on the freeway and the bazillion towns that require slowing down once we hit the highway. 

I should mention that I'm approaching this road trip backwards for how I'm familiar. 

I'm grateful for my talking google maps that is once again keeping me headed in the right direction, until my life lesson of the day hits. I started losing faith in my little app. What I thought to be the right destination wasn't. I lost faith because turning when the app told me too had me on a different road than I was use to, even though it was a better road the familiar landmarks were not there and I'd been led astray when I was listening and following right?

My perception was different than reality but in the middle of being lost in the middle of nowhere Utah I knew what I was being told was wrong. As I did my own thing and turned around for the right spot my app went crazy on me. It knew I needed more help and was trying to give it -- not that I was listening.  

I gave in and followed the little voice and ended up where I was meant to be, even though it was later than I was suppose to be there. 

How many times do we try to discuss which path is correct because we are trusting our own knowledge instead of trusting in the Gospel plan to get us to our destination?  I was tempted to turn the navigation off of Google maps because it was frustrating and annoying, I hope I never turn off the Holy Ghost because I lack faith, patience, or endurance. 

The temple wasn't my destination and my plans of walking the grounds were sabotaged by my plans being botched, but I did managed to get a stop in the middle of the road picture as we hurried by to come home. 



No comments:

Post a Comment