Monday, August 19, 2013

Dutch Oven Potatoe recipe

At the great cabin party '13 I attempted to make Dutch Oven potatoes. It's one of my favorite foods ever and I will occasionally make them in the crockpot. However, when we are having a dinner at the cabin the guys are in charge of cooking most things, including the potatoes. With that background the cabin party was a learning lesson. I forgot how long they take to cook, I forgot cheese but thought I'd sub with fresh curd and that was a bad idea, forgot the charcoal chimney to get charcoal for the top, didn't keep an eye on the flame after I moved it to the camp chef and they burned.

Dutch oven potatoes aren't difficult so I'm out to redeem myself. I had a long list of what went wrong but I wasn't sure it was complete so I turn to Google research. People put strange things in dutch oven potatoes like dried fruit (?!?). That said, it is a very versatile recipe that you can add almost anything to, I guess including dried fruit. 

My dutch oven recipes never include measurements so good luck!

Dutch Oven Potatoes
1 package thick slice bacon, cut into about fourths
Onion either diced or thinly sliced (how much depends on you, my kids don't love onions so I use about 1/4 but have enjoyed some with much more onion in it)
Potatoes  at least 1 large potato per person, great as leftovers so I always make a lot more. If using something with a soft skin (yukon gold or baby red) wash and slice.  If they have a tougher skin like russets I peel them then slice. A mandolin is perfect. 
Sprite at least a can, it's cheaper to buy it in a 2-liter and I also use it in my dutch oven peach cobbler so that's what I bring. 
Old Bay Seasoning
Grated cheese probably a cup depending on how many potatoes. Something that melts well, not curds. 

Cook bacon in dutch oven to the point it's soft, not crispy.

Bacon! Yum!

Toss in the onions and sauté until clear. Enjoy the smell. 

Bacon and onions.  Best smell anywhere -- except for fresh rain.

Place in potato, sprinkling with Old Bay season layered throughout. 

'taters

Pour some sprite over top and place lid on and either put it in an oven heated to 350 or on coals/camp chef with coals on top. 

Check frequently for burning on the bottom, when potatoes are soft (very soft, I like them at the falling apart stage) cover with cheese and replace lid. You may need to add more sprite if the potatoes begin to dry out. 

Excuse me, dinner is ready.  Be back later.


Leftovers are great in the morning sautéed in a hot pan like hash browns. Redeemed!  These are wonderful

{Heather}



Nice and tidy printable version of Dutch Oven Potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment