Thursday, August 15, 2013

Softball and numb fingers

I set this blog up initially while I was newly post op from my elbow surgery and then let it sit while I couldn't do anything but sit and try to heal. I couldn't easily write and typing would have been completely 1 handed. Last summer was very difficult on all of us. Charlet took care of the house, did most if the cooking and laundry. Anytime I tried to do anything it was too much. By far the hardest 4 months of recent history. 

I went back to work first part of August, well I clocked in for 60 minutes of education on July 31.  

Tonight church ball started. Last year I worried about my arm, either stopping a line drive or batting but I was fine!  Woohoo!!  I even did a little happy dance.   Incredibly out of shape and the arm was weak from non-use but I could play softball!  Yes it's worth exclamation abuse, not being able to play ball or go rappelling was what had me starting to look at what needed to be done to fix it. 

Tonight I realized how out of shape I am and that my right arm is having problems too. Every single time I'd throw zingers would shoot down my arm and my hand was numb most of the game. There were a few wild throws while I was warming up with Ron too.

*sigh*

I'm sitting here with ice on my elbow finally able feel my fingers and cycling through how frequently I wake up to pain in my hand, when I dropped myself the last time I went rappelling because my right hand is my brake. 

I can't just not work for 4 months again, I can't expect Charlet to shoulder the extra responsibility, I just can't do it. 

I don't know if playing ball will make it worse or not, guess its time to talk to my ortho and see if its tolerable {pain is, my throws were not} if I'm doing further damage. If not I will keep playing but if it does more damage I need to put off what seems like the inevitable for as long as possible. 

If I can fix a swamp cooler, I can do this too--right?

{Heather}

PS:  school craziness has officially begun, this is how our summer ended this morning. 



No comments:

Post a Comment