Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Pinterest Ruler

I love Pinterest. I love to do, create, plan, dream, and browse.  More planning and dreaming than doing.  I loved the big Sears catalog when I was little planning my dream room to shopping for back to school {seriously, what didn't the Wish Book have in it to dream about?!?}. 

Pinterest is the current Wish Book but with a dangerous side. I plan out Christmas on secret boards, get ideas for the girls rooms, and the recipes {I love the recipes} and general tips of how to make life easier. FHE ideas and where was it when I was in the Primary presidency?!?  I just had Sugardoodle to rely on then -- I actually think it was around I just hadn't learned to utilize it yet. 

Like anything Pinterest has a dark side. It's given moms a dangerous yard stick to judge themselves with.  We are once again put in a situation where someone's best makes something simple and ordinary beautiful and memorable -- and we are left trying to replicate it, comparing insignificant details to a strangers specialty.  If you doubt me go browse Pinterest for laundry room decor. How many of your neighbors have perfectly decorated laundry rooms?  I'm happy if my laundry gets done, forget about doing it in a decorated room. 

It reminds me of this quote from Uchdorf from his Forget Me Not talk in Relief Society general meeting. 

And yet we spend so much time and energy comparing ourselves to others—usually comparing our weaknesses to their strengths. This drives us to create expectations for ourselves that are impossible to meet. As a result, we never celebrate our good efforts because they seem to be less than what someone else does. 

A quick click and we have set perfection as our expectation and measuring stick for everything. This week I pinned an idea for a cute menu planner/binder. Last night I had the opportunity to look at the pin. Completely unrealistic amount of time and effort went into this recipe planner for what this single mom {who works crazy shifts and never has everything done as it is } can put into a menu binder. Besides, what's wrong with my current method of creating a calendar in my google calendars for "menu" and having it to compare with my work schedule so I know which nights need crockpot or easy meals and which I can spend more kitchen time on?  

If allowed to the Pinterest mentality can creep into every aspect of our life from hours creating perfect handouts for your next lesson to ensuring the inside of every closet is showroom worthy but never being able to reach the mark on the yard stick. 

Pinterest is something I hope to keep in balance. Providing me with new recipes, bread that doesn't require kneading or excess time, inspirational thoughts and a dash of nursing humor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment